ConforMIS Customized Knee Implants
Understanding Your KneeTo understand the benefits of the ConforMIS personalized approach, it’s important to understand the anatomy of your knee. Your knee joint is formed by the intersection of the femur (thigh bone), tibia (shin bone), and patella (knee cap). These bones form three “compartments” or sections.
1. Medial Compartment (inner half of knee) 2. Lateral Compartment (outer half of your knee) 3. Patellofemoral compartment (behind the knee cap)
There Has To Be A Better WayKnee replacement is a very common procedure. Despite its proven history, studies show that as many as 1 in 5 patients report they are not satisfied with the results of their total knee replacement. Knees vary in size and shape. Even your own two knees are different. In a traditional knee replacement, the surgeon selects an “off the shelf” implants from 6 – 10 standard sizes and makes necessary adjustments to fit the implant during the procedure. Because off the shelf implants aren’t designed to your specific anatomy, surgeons often have to compromise on implant fit, rotation, and alignment. These compromises can cause pain or discomfort after surgery and may explain why 1 in 5 are unhappy after surgery.
The First Knee Replacement That Fits Only One Knee – YOURSTo provide our patients with better results, ConforMIS has developed the only customized total knee replacement that is designed specifically for your knee. This patient-specific approach offers unique advantages not possible with tradition, off the shelp implants:
- Individual fit that virtually eliminates sizing compromises common with off-the-shelf implants and often associated with pain following surgery.
- Designed to follow the shape and contour of each patient’s knee, which provides an increased potential for a more natural feeling knee
- Maintains the patient’s natural joint lines to avoid instability, a common cause of patient dissatisfaction.
Custom Fit and ShapeBetter fit leads to less pain. The ConforMIS implants are specifically designed to fit your knee avoiding sizing and positioning compromises common with off-the-shelf implants. They are also designed for optimal bone preservation. ComforMIS implants are designed to mimic the natural shape of your knee, the way it bends and extends. By restoring the natural shape, your knee will feel more like your natural knee.
Maintaining Joint LinesMany patients complain that their knee feels wobbly after knee replacement surgery. This feeling is formally known as midflexion instability. Off the shelf knee implants aren’t designed to match the natural offset joint line that most patients have. Instead, the flatten the offset to the same height, which can lead to mid-flexion instability. ComforMIS implants maintain the patient’s medial and lateral joint lines, which allows for a more stable knee after surgery.
Customized Design – Customized for you in only four weeksConforMIS iFit image-to-implant technology converts a CT scan of your knee in to a 3D model and then designs an implant that’s unique to you. This fully automated process ensures that your implant is made for your knee and ONLY your knee. Steps:
- MD gives you a prescription for a diagnostic CT scan of your hip, knee and ankle
- Scan completed and sent to ConforMIS
- Using the scan, a 3D model is developed and will be used to individualize your implant
- Your implant and surgical instrumentation are designed and manufactured specifically for you
- Your implant will be delivered to the hospital a few days prior to your scheduled surgery.